Monday, August 15, 2011

Stunt Air Team Portsmouth Air Show Newington, NH

I never thought that I would admit this, but I adjusted the tones to simulate a high dynamic range (HDR) image. OK hear me out. The complaint by many people about HDR photography is that it is gaudy, hyper-saturated, over the top, lacking subtlety, crass...(and these are the kind words). I happen to be one of them. However, this technique can be useful using the more recent software versions. I will post some tone mapped images using HDR eventually.
You be the judge. Google Trey Ratcliff's "Stuck In Customs" website and look at some of his HDR images. You'll love it or hate it.
That being said...this image is not HDR. I merely took this low contrast image and exaggerated the tonal adjustments to get the silhouette of the aircraft and the smoke trails better defined in order to separate them from the clouds. Without that adjustment this image was just dead on arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment